Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Quick Weekend Update

I need to be working this morning, and I'm battling the worst morning sickness I've had so far, so this will have to be quick.

Saturday we went to the Chattahoochee Nature Center (the link to its website isn't working right now, but it normally is here) to attend a ranger-led baby nature walk (it's supposed to discuss which plants are safe to touch and other things possibly encountered at two feet tall) and to see the butterfly release. Apparently, the Nature Center typically releases all butterflies on one day each July, making a big festival out of it. However, this year, because construction is underway for a new wildlife center, they spread it over several weekends this month, and this past weekend was the last release.

The infant walk was canceled, so we just walked through the gardens for an hour. It was hot as Hades, and Caetlin really wanted to run around but she kept picking the flowers, so she spent a good chunk of time on Bruce's shoulders. We did get to see a sleeping beaver (verdict: much larger than I thought it would be) and a number of birds in the aviary. However, when it came to the butterfly release, we bailed. Turns out you have to get there early to get a good seat, and early did not work for Caetlin. You can't expect a 2 year old to just sit and wait for 20 minutes, when nothing is happening to keep her attention. It was also a madhouse. Completely packed, with people just barrelling through the doors, getting snippy that we were blocking their way by trying to get in the door the other direction. We've been there a couple of times before and it was never so crowded.

So, no baby nature walk and no butterfly release. The Nature Center was a big bust this time, though we did get bird seed for our hopefully more squirrel resistant bird feeder (they have destroyed two feeders in the last couple of months). The rest of the day was errands and miscellaneous. It was a miscellaneous kind of day.

Sunday was awesome- Six Flags! We had a blast, despite it being about 1000 degrees outside. We actually bought a pass for 6 more visits by November 2, because I think we'll be going back when it is cooler. Caetlin had a great time, especially in Thomas Town (dedicated to the characters of Thomas the Tank Engine) where there is a little kid train ride that we stayed on three times and a playground. She also liked looking at all the people and things- she was just blown away by it all. Also loved the roller coasters (looking at them, of course), saying, "Hello choo choo train!" and "Bye bye train!" when the cars whooshed around overhead. No pictures, unfortunately- I forgot my camera. Next time.

We also saw The Dark Knight, and oh my, was it good. Wonderful performances from Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhardt, a thought-provoking story and great visuals. More on that later, if I get time.

Sunday was also the day of cooking, as I made two different dishes for the week. We're going to start eating dinner with Caetlin- previously her nanny has fed her dinner before we get home in the evenings- and I want her to start eating what I eat. Wish us luck in broadening the child's palate.

Anyway, that was about it for the weekend. I know I owe Alaska pictures. Soon, I promise.

No comments: