Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Conversations with Caetlin

Tonight, while I was changing her diaper before stories and bedtime:

[I unzip her sleeper and pull it off her feet. She frantically gropes for her belly button, missing it by a couple of inches.]

C: Uhh, uhh, belly button! [Whine.]
Me: It's right here, silly! [I guide her hand to her belly button.]
C: Hee, belly button. [Self-satisfied smile.]
Me: [Unsure what else to say] Yes, that's your belly button.
C: Big belly button.
Me: It's not a big belly button! It's a little belly button.
C: Daddy's big belly button.
Me: Yes, Daddy has a big belly button.
C: Daddy's big belly button. Caetlin's little belly button.
Me: That's right. Mommy's belly button is somewhere in between.
C: Baby [Segunda] grow behind Mommy's belly button.
Me: [delighted, because she might be starting to understand Segunda a little] That's right! Baby [Segunda] is growing in Mommy's belly!
C: Clean hands, please! [In a complete non sequitur to alert me to the fact that she's been picking her nose and is grossed out by the results.]

I envision Conversations with Caetlin to be a regular feature of the blog. It's so random talking to a toddler. Very free form. But I loved the bit about the belly buttons.

No comments: