Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Back In The Hospital Again

I spent several hours in the hospital today for extended monitoring, since my own checks of my blood pressure had shown that it was up quite a bit higher than I wanted to see. It came down almost immediately in the hospital, the monitoring of the baby shows that she's still doing great, and the blood work that they drew was fine, so they sent me home. I expected that, assuming that the pressure came down. I'm sure it was up in part because I'm still not sleeping. My doctor prescribed a few pills of Ambien for me, but I haven't taken them, in part reacting to her ambivalence about prescribing sleeping pills. The nurse who cared for me today gave me a very persuasive pitch for breaking the cycle of insomnia, getting myself rested and healthy, and noted that the baby will metabolize quite a bit less of the drug than I will (and it's not a high dose anyway). I was and am so grateful for her kind and informative words- I am nearly in tears right now contemplating a good night's sleep.

In other news, I passed all or part of my mucous plug upon my arrival at the hospital. Sorry if that is TMI. That doesn't really mean much but I'm trying to be optimistic that it means labor is near. I didn't have that with Caetlin, as labor was not in any way close to being started when I was induced.

Also: I missed the snow, mostly. It had just started when I headed to the hospital; I watched it fall outside my room window all afternoon, big fluffy flakes that accumulated on the grass and bushes. It changed to rain more or less right when we pulled out of the parking garage on the way home, though it still remains on lawns and sidewalks, probably to freeze into ice tonight and make tomorrow's commute wonderful. At least I don't have to deal with that bit.

No comments: