Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Because We Couldn't Go A Week Without Some Luna in Some Hospital

I mentioned that last night I was having some abdominal pain. Well, it got progressively worse over the course of the night, and this morning Bruce persuaded me to call our primary care doctor (who I don't much like and I'm trying to find a new one). He saw me and did some lab work, which suggested slightly that I might have a kidney infection, but all my presentation suggested a gallbladder issue. He recommended that I see a gastroenterologist tomorrow, but it was either this afternoon or mid-May, so I went in this afternoon. The doctor took about a five minute look at me and told me I had classic cholecystitis, gallbladder inflammation, and that it was probably infected, as I was running a temperature at that point. He suggested I head down to the emergency room, where he was going to call the GI surgeon and let him know I was coming.

I got to the emergency room and met the surgeon and the surgical resident. It turns out that pregnant women and women who have recently been pregnant are at increased risk for gallstones. Who knew?? So the surgeon was all, "I'm 90% sure that you have gallstones and that your gallbladder is infected, and I wouldn't even do the diagnostic tests if your insurance company wouldn't flip out about it. I would just take your gallbladder out right now." I'm not sure I would have gone along with the "no diagnostics" thing, but luckily I didn't have to. He ordered some (more) labs and an abdominal ultrasound.

The nurse who came to draw my blood first gave me a stick in the back of my hand, and missed the vein, leading to her moving the catheter around in my hand for a second. That hurt! It still hurts, and is already making pretty, pretty bruising. The crappy thing was, it also closed down really fast, so she had to re-stick me in my elbow after just one vial. I don't know why she rejected my elbow the first time, but it hurt a lot less and filled up the vials really fast.

I had the ultrasound done, and was admitted to the hospital and moved to a room upstairs. I was more or less prepped for surgery tomorrow afternoon- not allowed to eat or drink, IV in place with fluids being given, as well as some IV antibiotics ordered, as my labs showed an increased white count, a marker for infection. Then the doctor came in again.

"Amazingly, the ultrasound showed NO gallstones," he said. He went on to talk about how flummoxed he was by this, since I am so exhibiting such classic gallbladder symptoms. He had to (reluctantly) admit that he can't operate, since he doesn't have a diagnosis at this time. His plan is to evaluate my overnight vital signs, my morning labs, and possibly order a CAT scan in the morning as well. He was baffled but seemed confident he would be able to figure it out. Something would point the way to the correct diagnosis, he was sure.

So, that's where I am- in the hospital. Hooked up to an IV that makes using the toilet a challenge and showering impossible. Taking IV antibiotics that mean I will have to pump and dump for at least a day after receiving my last dose. That is on top of whatever they give me in the event of surgery and any pain meds I should need. I hate that part. Just in time for Phoebe's 6 week growth spurt, which I was counting on to boost my supply. It's not like I have any supply problems, but I was hoping I could boost it so I could easily pump some for later. Now I'm just hoping I come through still nursing her at all. I still have no idea what is wrong with me, and I'm still in pain. Not a lot, but I'm uncomfortable.

Silver lining- I'm going to sleep more or less uninterrupted tonight, at least not by baby. Vitals and labs will not take long, unlike feeding the baby. I'm going to wake up in some pain, and have to pump immediately on getting up, I'm sure, but to sleep- that sounds wonderful.

I'm feeling a little sorry for myself, all alone in this lonely hospital room. I'm worried about my innards; I'm worried about being able to continue nursing Phoebe; I'm sad I didn't get to see Caetlin hardly at all today. I'm hot, possibly because of my elevated temperature and possibly because of the temperature in the room. I'm hungry- I was at least able to have clear liquids until midnight, so I "indulged" in two helpings of beef broth, some Jell-o and some Italian ices. It wasn't the most satisfying dinner I've ever had. All the food commercials on TV taunt me.

Anyway, more updates tomorrow as they decide what's wrong with me and what to do about it.

No comments: