Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Damn You, National Weather Service!

Well, because of the storm last night at the Georgia Dome, Georgia had to play its game against Kentucky this afternoon, at Georgia Tech. It was a weird game, since the SEC allowed only family and school representatives into the arena- the capacity is so much smaller than at the Dome, they felt they had no way of fairly allowing ticket holders in. So they played in a mostly-empty arena, the cheerleaders cheering to vacant bleachers, the sound of the bands clearly audible and probably echoing off the rafters.

So it was strange to begin with. Georgia took an early lead but it was close at the half, and remained close the rest of the game. It went to overtime, with Georgia's primary offensive weapon on the bench having fouled out. Kentucky went up by 2 with 8.8 seconds left...

And the National Weather Service broke in. To tell me there is severe weather in the area, and I should "take cover." Which, this announcement is coming to me via cable. I'm in my house. If I'm not covered enough, there's not much the National Weather Service can do about it. Funnily enough, it wasn't even raining in our area at the time.

The next time the game came back on, there were 1.2 seconds left, and Georgia was up by 4. Whaaa??? Damn you, National Weather Service!

I'll take the win, though it's really cruddy that Georgia was up last night, and then has to play two games on the same day. Still, they are doing pretty well against Mississippi State, so maybe it won't matter too much. I will say that I don't have high hopes for the championship if Georgia does win; three games in two days is an awful lot to ask of the team.

Go Dawgs!

UPDATE: Wow, how did they manage to win today against Arkansas?? What fortitude, to win 4 games in 4 days. And now they are in the NCAA tournament. No doubt many think they don't belong there, and probably they have a worse record than most of the other 64 teams. But they are in, and Dennis Felton should be able to rest easy about his job, at least for this year. Maybe they will be able to actually recruit some next year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i am debating taking thursday off of work for a "dentist appointment" because i want to watch georgia play.

Patricia said...

I know, I'm seriously considering a long lunch.