Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Grump

So, I mostly recovered by about mid-afternoon yesterday, except for feeling a little weak from dehydration. Some water and some sleep, and I was back in business this morning, if not exactly ready to face the cafe again. So that was good.

And it really was good, because I have had the busiest day I have had in awhile. And it's not over yet. It kind of all stems from one project, that I'm overdue on (of course), but that requires large chunks of time at once to complete. I don't have large chunks of time at once. Except at like 3 a.m. I had to spend 3 hours on one phone call this morning, which totally blew my morning, despite that it was an extremely necessary and productive call. Then, I received a grace period from my client to turn that phone call into product...until tomorrow (as opposed to this afternoon, which would have just killed me). But I didn't get to that whole phone-call-into-written-product alchemy this afternoon at all. Not one bit. No, I was caught up on a deal that is struggling because of the market, and my client is freaking out, and we have to close next Wednesday! (!!!!)

When I put those fires out (or tempered them to a low smolder, anyway), I had to deal with some other stuff that needed my attention right now, mostly because it was heading toward 5 p.m. in Texas, where the relevant people live and work, and I had to make sure I caught them before they went home. Because, you know, they get to go home at 5. Lucky stiffs.

We had a temp nanny for Caetlin today (who wore her little tush out, I have to say. She was great), so we had to get home right on time, which meant leaving the office at 6:10 and hoping for the best, traffic-wise. Two-thirds of the way home, I got an email that it was pretty clear I needed to respond to tonight. Except the relevant document was sitting on my desk. 3 miles behind us. Grrr. As soon as we got home, I kissed the baby and turned right back around and went back to the office. As I was walking into the building from the parking lot, I saw the person who had emailed me. On his way out of the parking lot. GRRRR.

The email took me 5 minutes, so I turned around and went back, 30 minutes after I left. On the way home, I got an email that reminded me: I had missed a conference call this afternoon. SHIT! With no explanatory or apologetic email from me at all. Fortunately, I wasn't terribly necessary, but I called the person leading the call to apologize. Yeah, figuring out how to dial by last name is fun when there isn't the standard touch tone phone lettering on my blackberry keyboard. Figuring it out while driving-- now that's a party.

I got home to a terribly cranky child, worn out as she was by her exciting day (she went to the mall. That puts me in mind of this, which still makes me laugh.) She headbutted me tonight when I was trying to put her to bed, then slapped me in the face. Ahh, toddlers!

Now I have a good number of hours to work tonight (see: large chunks of time at once, above). And I'm tired, still tired from yesterday, and tired too because I'm not getting enough sleep. That won't be changing tonight, I'm afraid.

I don't get paid enough to be this busy. Grump.

No comments: