Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Labor Day! Filled With...Labor!

So, over the long weekend, I cleaned the house. WOO-HOO! No seriously, you have no idea. I spent three days ridding the house (okay, paring down a lot in the areas we live in) of clutter. Yep, the accumulated mail, the random books and knick-knacks and stuff that seemed to have no place, the stuff that could be thrown away, which was so much more than I would have guessed- it all went away. We bought a couple of clutter-cleaning devices (stackable containers for the dog and cat food, baskets for Caetlin's small toys that tend to fall to the bottom of her toy chest), and generally cleaned the hell out of the house. Lots of laundry, too. Then the actual cleaners came on Wednesday to take care of the dirt- not my strong suit- and voila! Clean house, if not entirely clutter and cat-scent free (that last is the result of a serious cat box issue in the basement. I'm working on getting to it). But so much better than it was. And I think I can more or less keep it that way, too, which is a great feeling.

Over the weekend we also visited my sister, because my brother-in-law's sister and mom and niece were in town (oh she of the contagious infectious miserable germs- more on that later) and because it was my nephew's 18th birthday. We also grocery shopped and moved Caetlin to an entirely new level of food- almost no baby food, only a few stage 3s. She has 4 teeth now; it's high time she learn to chew like a proper adult! Kidding, of course, but it's a big deal to me that she is almost all the way off baby food. We've moved into the Gerber Graduates, which I hate but can't find an organic alternative. And it is sort of sized right for the kid to eat.

(I pause to note that I don't care much about organic stuff for myself, but I guess I want to keep Caetlin's body as unsullied by artificial whatever as possible. Not that I think it's horrible, but I figure she has an entire lifetime to eat crappy food, so I'd like to not start that on my watch. Not that the Graduates stuff is terribly unhealthy, though it- as is typical with pre-packaged food- is loaded with salt. I wish I cooked more. It's something I want to work on.)

We also moved entirely to whole milk at some point in the last two weeks, which means no more formula!

Over the weekend, we also took Caetlin to the playground and watched her enjoy it when Daddy would grab the swing and stop it just before she swung forward, leaving her hanging more or less in midair looking at the ground. She thought that was awesome.

That was pretty much it. Then back to work-ugh-on Tuesday. Tuesday morning also brought...the Stuffy Nose of Death.

No comments: