Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Movie Review: Good Luck Chuck

Bruce and I went to see Good Luck Chuck last night. Okay, the linked review is from the NY Times, and I have to say, wow, that critic is seriously snooty. Were the ad hominem attacks on Dane Cook and Jessica Alba really that necessary? (Never thought I would actually defend Jessica Alba, but really.) I will absolutely agree that the movie wasn't fantastic, but I enjoyed it anyway, in a brainless sort of way. I guess the reviewer might think that one should never go to see movies for mindless entertainment, that there should be something deeper to appreciate in every movie. I disagree, since all I wanted was to turn my brain off for an hour and a half and maybe laugh a little bit.

Which I did. Some of the humor is very tasteless, and I found the fat jokes to be really uncomfortably humiliating for the actress, but the movie also is charming in a way I didn't expect. Dane Cook is adorable in his worship of Jessica Alba, and she's cute as can be. And there are some genuinely funny bits.

This is not High Cinema, understand. I wouldn't even call it a good movie. But it was worth my 95 minutes and my $20, and I laughed some and actually laughed really hard at some pieces. It's pretty raunchy, which surprised me a little- I think I was expecting a PG-13 movie, and got an R movie (nothing wrong with that, though). But it's also very sweet in places. As good as Knocked Up? Nope. Superbad? Nuh-uh. Entertaining? Yep. Sometimes that's all you really want out of a night out.

Besides, since The Kingdom and Into the Wild didn't open this week, there wasn't much else to go see.

No comments: