Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Finally On Vacation

We're spending the weekend in the mountains, just the three of us together in a cabin for the long weekend. It's a little bit of what I needed from our vacation a couple of weeks ago. It's been quiet and relaxing and wonderful to indulge my need to do very little. I have work to do, but unless something unforeseen comes up, it is probably going to wait until Monday after we get back.

It was forecast to snow Friday night late, so we hurried up as fast as we could after work. It didn't actually snow at all, leading to a little disappointment when we woke up to a brown and grey winter not-so-wonderland, but it actually did snow for a couple hours yesterday. Very small blowy flakes, not like the big fluffy flakes that fell the other night in Atlanta. It snowed hard enough that we couldn't see the mountains across the valley our cabin overlooks. Caetlin happened to be down for her nap at that time, so Bruce and I hopped into the hot tub, where we kept as far under the water as possible to keep warm and let the flakes sting our faces while we watched them coming down.

It didn't snow as much as they predicted, unfortunately. We weren't so much concerned about the amount as by the length of time it snowed- only a couple of hours. We wanted it to snow all day, and it looked threatening all day. This morning we awoke to brilliant sunshine, cloudless skies, and low temperatures. Bruce wants us all to go for a drive. I'd prefer just to stay cozy and warm in the house.

This place, this weekend, feels like a refuge. I know we're going to leave it, and pretty soon, but right now, I am so happy to just be here, in a place that is clean and neat and doesn't take much effort to keep it that way, in a place where I have few responsibilities and no demands on my time except those of homemaking- keeping my child and home clean, keeping our family fed. It's cold outside and that's enough of a reason to stay inside and not go anywhere, staying here where it's warm and cozy and ours.

No comments: