Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself: I'm Chopped Liver, Nice to Meet You

It's fascinating how quickly children can deflate one's ego.

Tonight when we walked in from work, Caetlin came running to the door yelling, "Hi Daddy! Hi Daddy! Hi Daddy!" Not that unusual by itself- Bruce was through the door before I was, and Caetlin has been very Daddy-centric lately. Usually I get second billing, though, in the shouted greetings from the under-3 set. Tonight, however, Caetlin's next observation was, "It's dark outside. It's dark outside," as she looked out of the open door to the deepening twilight.

I stood there in the foyer looking at her, waiting to be acknowledged. Caetlin ran into the living room away from me, and then the nanny's grandson decided to swirl around me and down the hall, so she wheeled around and followed him, doing her little toddler run that she uses to get anywhere. As she passed by where I was still standing in the foyer, without even looking at me and in her best flat teenager voice she said, "Hi."

I wish I could convey the complete nonchalance that was contained in that syllable; it was so clear that I was a total afterthought. The nanny, Bruce and I all burst out laughing.

Clearly minced organ meat is my fate tonight.

No comments: