Oh, I wish I lived in the land of cotton...oh, wait. I do.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Brief Thoughts on a Second Child

Going...



Going...



Going away from me...



She's my independent little girl. She's still my sweet baby, though:



I guess she always will be that. How will Segunda change my relationship with Caetlin? It is something I worry about, and have had far too much time to contemplate lately. How is it possible that I could love any other child as much as I love her? Is that fair to Segunda, who didn't have any choice in coming second? And yet, what happens if I somehow love Segunda more than I do Caetlin? How would that be possible?

I read that one doesn't love one of one's children any more or less than the others, only differently. They are different people, after all, so it makes sense. I worry, though, about my capacity for differentiation, for expanding my heart to bring them both inside as Caetlin is already inside, where she has nested.

I suppose it's a little late to do anything about it now, and I'm more or less at the point where I just want to not be pregnant anymore and hang the consequences. But the slight little worry is always there.

No comments: